MEERUT: Three sisters, aged between 12 and 17, allegedly consumed poison after a fight over who will get to change the channels on a TV remote in Nangal area of Saharanpur late on Tuesday. While one of them died at a hospital, the other two are admitted in a critical condition.
According to police, the three sisters, aged 12, 14 and 17, were watching TV at home when a fight broke out over who will get to choose the channels. As all of them wanted to watch different channels, they started jostling for the remote control and the eldest one, in a fit of anger, consumed insecticide used to preserve wheat. The other siblings also followed suit. Family members immediately rushed them to a nearby hospital where the eldest one was declared dead.
The girls’ father said, “I am a mason and was out for work when the incident occurred. There are no words to describe the tragedy that has fallen on us.”
Saharanpur district hospital’s emergency medical officer Dr Pramod Kumar said, “The first girl brought to us was quite serious and didn’t survive. The other two are also in a critical condition but not to the extent of the first one.”